Tuesday, September 11, 2007

dinners for two, by popular demand: tasty chicken fajitas

I made dinner tonight just as I do most nights of the week. And just as I do most nights of the week I created a meal without following any recipe. Rather, I threw into my concoction what looked right and smelled good--a technique I learned from my mother a long time ago. Back then I complained, "How am I ever going to learn how to cook if you don't write anything down or measure ingredients?!"

Despite my complaints, I learned how to cook quite well. Now it's my husband who has taken up my old query. Frustrated that I put together meals that he can't recreate because I don't use recipes, Jim has helpfully suggested that I make a recipe file on my blog. So, here it goes...

Tonight's meal was chicken fajitas--a pretty easy undertaking for just about anyone especially with the myriad seasoning mixes to be had at the grocery store. However, I discovered the last time I tried to use packaged seasoning that I didn't much care for it, so tonight I improvised. Using the standard chicken, onions, and bell peppers I made the dish my own by substituting cayenne pepper, garlic, black pepper, and soy sauce for the yucky fajita seasoning packet. Here's my best approximation of the recipe:

1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 large sweet onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil (or your preferred vegetable oil)
Flour Tortillas

Place olive in large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Slice chicken breasts into thin strips approximately 1-1.5 inches in length. Place chicken breast strips in pan and add cayenne, garlic, and black pepper, mixing to season evenly. Cook chicken until done and remove from pan placing on plate covered in paper towels to drain excess oil.

Return pan to medium heat and add onions. Cook onions for 1 minute before adding red peppers. Cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes and add 1 Tbsp soy sauce. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes. Add chicken and remaining soy sauce to vegetable mixture and cook until vegetables are done. The onions should be completely grilled while the peppers remain just a bit crisp.

Warm tortillas for 10 seconds in the microwave and fill to your heart's content. Fajitas make a great light meal on their own or can be pared with beans (tonight I used white beans, other times I use black), rice, or any of your own favorite side dishes.

No comments: