Monday, October 15, 2007

biodiversity at the beach

This past week my program took a field trip out to Washington's Long Beach Peninsula to do town studies in the area. On Wednesday we had a little free time to do whatever we wanted. I headed up to Leadbetter Point State Park at the Northern most tip of the peninsula with a few of my class mates for some beach walking.




At the trail head we ran into this sign:




Along the trail that leads to the beach we were treated to a glorious display of fungus, the likes of which I have never seen. Thankfully, I had thought to bring my camera.











After a 2 mile walk we finally arrived out of the forest and grasslands on to the beach.



Snowy Plovers use much of the beach area, even this late in the year, and are the reason that the beach is closed to dogs and vehicles.





During our walk we came across a lot of garbage that had washed up on shore from passing ships.



We also found this milk crate which we used to collect the garbage. We took it as a sign to do our Greener best to leave the beach better than we found it.


3 comments:

Ariel said...

What are you studying?

Melissa said...

I'm in a program called America Abroad which deals with the American experience abroad as well as international/immigrant perspectives and experience in America. It's basically American History, Lit, and Anthropology.

Which all have very little to do with biodiversity in the fungi kingdom, but we had a little free time on our hands...

Ariel said...

That sounds so cool! I'm really into the anthropology class I'm taking. Basically if you were to take that biodiversity and add it to our anthropology classes that's what I'm trying to major in.

I want to hear more about what you are learning. Post more Melissa!