Tuesday, September 20, 2005

dilemma

I hawk handbags for a living. You know which ones I'm talking about; they have vivid colors and high visibility logos, they have trendy sounding names and cost more than my husband and I spend on groceries in a month.

Many of you may know these accessories simply as purses, (things that most women find vital for the transport of every day personal items) but at the unnamed upscale retail store where I'm employed the entire department I work in is officially called Better Handbags. Why better you might ask? Well certainly because they're "better" than other handbags, or at least that is what the prices on said handbags would lead you to believe.

The quandry that I find myself in is that I'm often forced to sell overpriced handbags--clutches, satchels, wristlets, shoulder bags, crossbodies, totes, hobos, etc.-- to underage girls, against my better judgment. Now I know that there is no legal age at which one can purchase a handbag, but should a 15 year old girl really be buying a $250.00 Dooney & Bourke to use as a book-bag? Certainly, I've met very few teens whose behavior would warrant such extravagant rewards (I know my own never did and I was a good kid).

So, what do I do? I have to sling handbags to help out with the expense of being a full-time college student, and to give my husband and myself a little financial breathing room. What do I do when I faced with the very real possibility that I am promoting conspicuous consumption among the youth of America?

I smile and nod encouragingly...

"Your friends are all going to be so jealous when they see you at school with a Coach. I'm sure you'll be so happy with your new handbag."

I'm certainly going to be happy with my 7 percent commission; at the very least it will help me to silence my conscience.

No comments: