Sunday, October 09, 2005

"Over the Shoulder, And Over the Top"

"A bag is sort of like a portable house. It represents you."

"For some women, finding the right bag is as important as oxygen."

These two quotes, ripped from the Thursday Styles section of the Times (NY that is) put the whole thing into perspective for me now. And if you're wondering exactly what I'm talking about when I say the "whole thing", feel free to read about my own personal dilemma. It's amazing to me that we live in such a vacuous and superficial society that we would let a fashion accessory define who we are to others. I thought our biggest concern was with encouraging conspicuous consumption in teens, but when an otherwise highly intelligent adult person would choose to spend upwards of $3000.00 on an accessory item that will be outdated faster than their laptop, I have to wonder at the scope of the problem. I think we're setting a bad example for the younger generation. And to those who would spend that much just to look cool to others I would offer this bit of advice: if you want to invest in something that will really make you feel good about yourself, try taking that three grand and slapping it down on tuition for someone who can't afford a college education, let alone such frivolity.

2 comments:

Nykita Stewart said...

In order to comment, I had to make a blog- so I am working on my creation right now... But your post proves interesting... I believe that all individuals should go through a budgeting course before graduating from High School! I just had a friend purchase a $300 handbag and I almost crapped my pants! Who on earth has that kind of money????

Melissa said...

Evidently a lot of high school kids think that they do. Or at least they think their parents have that kind of money and they are therefore entitled to a handbag that costs that much. Its sad that what we value today more than anything else are things that are material, that can be bought and sold, that we mistakenly believe are important to our image.

As an aside: I am told that I should encourage you to actually blog; someone who lives with me thinks you'd have interesting (and funny) perspectives to share. The only trouble I've encountered is not in thinking of things to say, but in finding time to say them all.